Join the Empowering People & Impacting Community (EPIC) Coalition and the Cowlitz County Sheriff’s Officeby taking the pledge to prevent opioid abuse in our community.
• Opioids are now one of the leading causes of injury-related deaths in Washington State. More people die from overdose than from car crashes.
• 75 percent of opioid misuse starts with people using medication that wasn’t prescribed for them — usually taken from a friend or family member.
• Promptly removing leftover opioid prescriptions from your home and safely disposing of your meds at a take back program helps prevent misuse by a friend, family member or other home visitor and reduces the risk of deadly overdose.
• Safe disposal not only helps prevent misuse and overdose deaths, it’s also important for the health of our environment.
• Scientists have found medicines in Pacific Northwest water and soils.4 Even at low levels, these medicines can harm the health of wildlife and drinking water.
• Take back programs are the only environmentally safe way to dispose of opioid medications.